Nanchang is located in the north of Jiangxi Province and the lower reaches of Gan River.
Random photo: Impressions of China
Its industries include machinery, automobile, tractors, light textiles, electronics, iron and steel, chemicals, and paper making. The city boosts such scenic spots as Bada Shanren (alias Zhu Da, an early Qing painter [1624 or 1626-1705]) Exhibition Hall, All flowers Islet, West Lake, Water Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy) Pavilion, and the Former Headquarters of the Nanchang Uprising. It is one of the China’s historical and cultural cities.
Jiangxi Museum 江西博物馆
Gonstructed in 1958, Jiangxi Museum is situated in the southern edge of the People’s Square, in the center of the city proper. The museum is the center of collection and preservation of historic artifacts, and of undertaking archaeological work and research. A lot of flint, bronze, iron implements, ceramic and porcelain wares, gold, silver, and jade wares, and ancient drawings are well preserved here. Among these collections the most valuable items are “the Han Bronze Basin” from which water automatically springs line a fountain when the visitor rubs on its two ears, “the Fair Drinking Cup,” and “the dinosaurs eggs.”
Meiling Mountain 梅岭
Towering 841 meters above sea level, the Meiling Mountain is situated in the middle of the Xishan Mountains. Covered with lots of green pines and bamboo plants, and with waterfalls, fountains and streams here and streams here and there, it is called “Little Mt. Lushan.” Legend has it that Mei Fu, magistrate of Nanchang County, came here to learn Taoism after his official career. Therefore it is called Meiling, and the Meixian Terrace was constructed. Hotels, restaurants and shops are available on the mountain. There are many beautiful spots that do not get mentioned in books because they offer no exceptional sights or attractions. And that is part of what makes them special. A trip out to such a spot can be very rewarding, and a meditative summer picnic on the green will provide an oasis of tranquility in a hectic day.
Qingyun Garden 青云谱 西汉南昌尉梅福 许逊 八大山人 朱耷
It lies near the Dingshan Bridge on the southern outskirts of Nanchang. In the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC-AD 25), Mei Fu, magistrate of Nanchang County , lived here in seclusion after his official career and later built the Meixian Temple here. Xu Xun in the Eastern Jin Dynasty (317-420) came here while he was working on flood prevention by means of water control. He renamed the temple “The Taiji Temple.” In 1661, Badashanren , a celebrated painter in the early Qing Dynasty, came here to seclude himself from society, and the name of Qingyun Garden was first used. In 1815, the name was changed into Qingyun Taoist Temple, Qingyunpu for short. The Badashanren Memorial Hall was set up in 1959. Badashanren, whose real name was Zhu Da (1624 or 1626-1705) was one of the descendants of the first Ming empeor Zhu Yuanzhang. During the lifetime he devoted himself to calligraphy and painting. He was also good at composing poems and articles. His calligraphic works and paintings show his distinctive style. Now Badashanren occupies an important position in modern arts history of China. Badashanren’s works have been classified as the state’s treasures and are greatly enjoyed by painters from both at home and abroad.
The Former Residence of Zhu De 朱德旧居
The Former Residence of Zhu De (1886-1976) is located at No 2 Huayuanjiao of the eastern end of Minde Road. Assigned by the Communist Party of China, Zhu De came to live in Nanchang to develop the Revolutionary activities. On July 27, 1927, Zhou Enlai arrived in Nanchang from Hubei Province and came first to discuss the general plan for the uprising with Zhu De in his house. The deputy director of the General Political Department of the Northern Expeditionary Army, Guo Moruo (1892-1978), once lived in this residence, and wrote many well known articles. The original appearance of the Former bedroom of Zhu De and the hall where Zhou Enlai lived has been revamped.
The Former Site of General Headquarters of the August 1 Nanchang Uprising 八一南昌起义总指挥部旧址
Situated in the middle part of Zhongshan Road, the Former Site of General Headquarters of the August 1 Nanchang Uprising was formerly Jiangxi Grand Hotel, a five-storey building. In late July 1927, the troops that were to participate in the uprising in Nanchang rented the entire hotel boosting 96 rooms and held a meeting in Xiqing Hall. The Front Committee of the Communist Party of China was established at the meeting and Zhou Enlai (1898-1976) was made secretary of the committee. Being the headquarters of the uprising, the leaders held a few more meetings here. In 1957, it was converted into the August 1 Nanchang Uprising Museum. The late Marshal Chen Yi (1901-1972) inscribed the full name of the museum, which was gold-plated on the tablet of the museum. The Assembly Hall, or the Former Xiqing Hall, the room where Zhou Enlai worked and rested, the office of Lin Boqu (1885-1960), and the bedroom as well, the office for the Military Staff Regiment, the bedrooms for the Guard Company of the 1st Division of the 20th Army and the Medicare Section are open to the visitor. Many historical documents, data, photographs, charts, drawings and materials are on show on the first and second floors of the building.
The Former Site of Officers Educational Regiment
Established by Zhu De 朱德创办的军官教育团旧址
It is located at the No 58 August 1st Avenue. It used to be the place where the Qing Dynasty trained its army during its last period, and later it became an early provincial military academy. In spring, 1927, Zhu De set up the Officers Educational Regiment, holding the post of the regiment commander himself, and thus trained a number of armed cadres. Some of them took part in the August 1st Nanchang Uprising. The original appearance of the Former office and bedroom of Zhu Dee has been renovated. Some of the furniture from those days are on show in this building.
The Grave of the Revolutionary Martyr Fang Zhimin 方志敏烈士墓
Built in August 1979, the Grave of the Revolutionary Martyr Fang Zhimin lies at the foot of the Meiling Mountain on the western outskirts of Nanchang, facing the east and backed by the green mountain. Made of the white marble, the grave is rectangular in shape. On the gravestone is Mao Zedong’ s inscription: The Grave of the Revolutionary Martyr Fang Zhimin. Below it is carved the brief history of Fang Zhimin. In front of the grave there is a lobby, in which Fang Zhimin’ s lifetime deeds and a collection of his personal effects are on show. Fang Zhimin (1900-1935), one of the founders of the Northeastern Jiangxi Revolutionary Base and the 10th Red Army, was born in Yiyang County, Jiangxi Province in 1900, and on August 6, 1935, laid down his life for the revolution at Xiashawo in Nanchang.
The Memorial Hall of the Revolutionary Martyrs of Jiangxi Province 江西省革命烈士纪念堂
Constructed in 1953, the Memorial Hall of the Revolutionary Martyrs of Jiangxi Province is situated among the middle section of August 1st Avenue. Centered in front of the hall stands a statue of a Red Army man. In the front room of the hall there are the inscriptions of Mao Zedong: “Communism is irresistible” “A single spark can start a prairie fire!” “Eternal glory to the Revolutionary martyrs!” A monument stands on the sacrificial terrace in the front room, or which is Zhu De’s inscription: “Eternal glory to the Revolutionary martyrs !” The name-lists of over 25,000 Revolutionary martyrs are treasured in showcases. The historical events of ten battles during the Second Revolutionary Civil War or the Agrarian Revolutionary War (1927-1937), waged by the Chinese people under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party against Kuomintang rule are depicted in the round room of the hall. The lifetime fighting deeds, works, personal effects and bequests of 300 Revolutionary martyrs are displayed on the first and second floors.
The Memorial Tower to the August 1 Nanchang Uprising 八一南昌起义纪念塔
The tower is located at the southern part of the People’s Square, which is in the center of the city proper. Construction of the tower began in 1977, the year of the 50th anniversary of the uprising, was completed on January 8, 1979. The tower is shaped like an obelisk, and is 45.5 meters high. The late Marshal Ye Jianying (1897-1986) inscribed the name of “the Memorial Tower to the August 1st Nanchang Uprising,” which is a brief introduction about the uprising on the granite tablet. On the other three sides are three large granite relief sculptures entitled “announcing to start the uprising,” “attacking the enemy positions” and “rejoicing in the victory.” There are sidewalls to the south and north of the main body of the tower. On these two walls there is a relief sculpture of a flag and an emblem of the Chinese Workers and Peasants Red Army with green pines and evergreens surrounding the flag and emblem. The top of the tower consists of an upright granite sculpture of a rifle made in Hanyang (now part of Wuhan, Hubei province) and an August-the-First-Flag made of red granite.
The Prince Teng Pavilion 滕王阁
The Prince Teng Pavilion towers at the bank of Gan River. The original Pavilion was first built in 653 in the Tang Dynasty (618-907). It was rebuilt during the reign of the Ming emperor Jingtai (1450-1456) outside the Zhangjiang Gate. After the Qing Dynasty it was destroyed and reconstructed again. In 1926 a fire set by the Northern Warlords (1912-1927) again burnt it down. Reconstruction of the Pavilion began in 1983, and was completed in 1989, Occupying an area of 43,000 square meters, the main structure of the Pavilion covers 13,000 square meters. With double eaves, the Pavilion boasts nine stores, with a height of 57.5 meters. It looks even more magnificent and imposing.
The Shengjin (Gold Rope) Tower 绳金塔
First built in the Tang Dynasty (618-907), the Shengjin Tower is located on Shengjin Road. Legend relates that an iron box was dug up while the tower was being built. In the box, there were four bundles of gold ropes, three ancient swords and 300 sariras. (A sarira舍利或舍利子is said to be a luminous stone reputed to come out of the ashes of Buddha’s cremated body---deposited in stupas for worship). Therefore it was called the Shengjin Tower. In 1708, it collapsed and was reconstructed in 1713. The tower is 59 meters high and its foundation being 33.6 meters in girth. It has seven floors and eight sides. There are carved eaves and verandas on each floor and doors facing each direction. Wooden stairs lead from the ground floor to the sixth floor. On top of the tower is a gold-plated tripod. It is the highest ancient building still standing in the city.
The Shuiguanyin (Water Avalokitesvara) Pavilion - 水观音亭
First built in the Tang Dynasty (618-907), the Shuiguanyin Pavilion lies in the center of the South Lake. In thee period 1506 to 1521, the wife (whose surname was Lou) of Zhu Chenhao朱宸濠(Duke Ning宁王 ) once used it as a dressing room. In the period 1573 to 1620, it became the villa of Prime Minister Zhang Wei相国张位 , also called Apricot Blossom Building (Xinghua House杏花楼 ). Tang Xianzu汤显祖(1550-1616), a great dramatist in the Ming Dynast (1368-1644), once composed poems here. In the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), it was revamped with public donations in order that it could be used to offer sacrifices to the spirits of Zhu Chenhao’s wife, and it was for the first time called Yinshi Nunnery因是庵. In 1788, it was repaired again. The Pavilion has been called the Guanyin Pavilion or the Shuiguanyin Pavilion since then. In 1919, it was renovated again with public donations, and repaired in 1983.
The Xishan (Western Hill) Longevity Palace 西山万寿宫
Located on Mount Xishan in Xinjian County, the Xishan Longevity Palace is a famous Taoist temple. Xu Xun, a Nanchang native and an honest and upright magistrate of Jingyang County in Sichuan Province in the Eastern Jin Dynasty (317-420), who devoted himself to control all his life, once came here to “cultivate himself and make pellets.” The Xishan Temple was later built in his memory. It was repaired and enlarged in the Northern and Southern Dynasties and was named the Youwei Temple. In 1010 during the Song Dynasty, it became a palace; Emperor Zhenzong of the Song Dynasty (960-1279) inscribed the words “Yu Long” and ordered a tablet be made with the words on it. Emperor Weizong of the Song Dynasty ordered that it be rebuilt according to the Zongfu Palace in Luoyang, and inscribed the words “Yu Long Longevity Palace.” He also ordered a tablet be made with the words on it. Three front halls, three middle halls, three rear halls, three rear halls, a stage and a magnificent gate were built when it was renovated in 1867. In the palace there are three ancient cypresses planted in the Jin Dynasty. Legend has it that Xu Xun planted one of the trees. And cypresses planted in the Tang (618-907)., Song (960-1279) and Ming (1368-1644) dynasties are still growing well. An iron pillar made in the Jin Dynasty (265-420) in front of the palace, an ancient well with stream water in it, and a fence are all well preserved.
More About The Jiangxi Province
- Nanchang Introduction
Nanchang is located in the north of Jiangxi Province and the lower reaches of Gan River.